Here is tip I learned decades ago that will, I promise you, change the stress level in your home! No joking! There is something about smelling onions caramelizing on the stove top that just melts away the frustrations of the day.
Whenever I start a pan of these, the family starts making their way through the kitchen asking what is for dinner….even if it’s only 10am!
The following portion would be for one or two people. You can easily double, triple or more this recipe with the same awesome results.
- 1 medium onion
- 3 Tablespoons butter (or combo butter and oil)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
* Optional – dash of sugar
- Place the butter in a large skillet on medium heat
- Peel onion and cut in half and then cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick
- Place onion in skillet – sprinkle with Salt & Pepper
- Gently turn the onion slices to coat with butter
- Set timer for 5 minutes – leave onions alone
- Gently stir
- Set timer again for 5 minutes – leave onions alone
- At this point the onions will be cooked and dark in color, possibly start to stick to the pan. They are done and ready to eat.
*Optional – At this point I like to sprinkle with just a dash of sugar and turn off the heat but leave the onions in the warm pan on the stove top. This last step is awesome if your crew, like mine, will be eating the onions as soon as they can get close to the pan! Burned fingertips or not…which is why I suggest making a larger batch of these and having some to store for later.
These are great to add to just about any dish. Even those that HATE onions will eat these babies! Have a family member that likes the taste but not the feel of onions? Run these through a food processor or smash with the back of a spoon before adding to any dish. Sneaky? Sure but onions add so much flavor to dishes that if left out, cheats those that enjoy the dish.