I will be the first to admit that is NOT a pretty dish. Tasty? Oh yeah. Lick your finger good? Yep.. but my crew call it Buzzard Wings if that lets you know a little about what it looks like on your plate.
The sauce to so simple to make but I would marinate it as long as possible. This dish would also be awesome marinated and then grilled or baked. In fact, we like the sauce on just about anything.
- 2 pounds of chicken wings (about 20 wings)
- 8 garlic gloves, crushed (or 4 tablespoons minced)
- 5 whole bay leaves
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Combine garlic, bay leaves, soy sauce in large bowl or baggie
- Rinse chicken wings and place in sauce to marinate for 30 minutes to an hour (in the refrigerator)
- Place chicken and sauce in a large stock pot
- Add water and bring pot to a low boil, cook for ten minutes (turn pieces with tongs to make sure of even cooking)
- Add vinegar and continue to cook for another 20 minutes (turn pieces with tongs to make sure of even cooking)
- Remove chicken from sauce and serve with noodles or rice
*Reduce heat under sauce and continue to reduce. The flavors will become stronger as it cooks down. Make sure to strain the sauce before putting away or freezing. This makes awesome topping for rice or noodles and adds a wonderful depth of flavor to soups, beans and other hearty dishes.
Lynne B says
Chicken adobo is a favorite Filipino dish and every family has their own recipe. I don’t marinate the chicken, use more vinegar than soy (because vinegar and garlic are the main flavors) along with the water and add some whole peppercorns. I bring it to a boil and the lower heat to simmer until the chicken is tender. I then take the lid off and let the sauce reduce. It’s true – the sauce is SOOOOO good! Thanks for sharing.
Gayathri Nadarajan says
Ya know what…sometimes the tastiest dishes are the ugliest. I’ve had chicken adobo and it was life changing! I’m gonna try your recipe!
Maria Iemma says
This is a wonderful marinade for chicken, I am going to try it and I am sure my family will love it.
Linda Manns says
This sounds so good. We eat alot of chicken so it is nice to try new recipes. Thank you for sharing
Debbie Welchert says
Your right, it doesn’t look very pretty but it sounds delicious.
Rebecca Johnson says
This sounds so yummy! I know my husband would try it!