Crema De Fruta
This dessert reminds me of homemade banana pudding…except with fruit. Making the custard from scratch really doesn’t take any longer than whipping up pudding but oh..the difference in the flavor is sure worth it.
Crema De Fruta is a no bake recipe and should be made ahead about 30 minutes to an hour before serving. Much longer than that, I find the graham crackers soak up the cream and get soft. But, if that is how you enjoy your cracker and cream desserts, you will love this one.
Crema De Fruta
- 1/2 cup flour (all purpose)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1 package graham crackers
- 1 can Fruit Cocktail (drained) or fresh fruit slices such as pineapple rings, cherries, peaches
* Optional unflavored gelatin
- Combine the flour, sugar, milk, water, butter and egg in a medium saucepan
- Place on medium heat and stir constantly until thick and creamy
- Remove from heat
- Working in a 9×13 serving dish or smaller size if a thicker dessert is desired, layer graham crackers and custard several times (usually 3-5 layers)
- Place fruit cocktail on top of dessert (or arrange fresh fruit into design of choice)
Allow dessert to cool in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving
*Optional – prepare gelatin according to package directions and brush over the top of fruit on dessert. This will add a shine and a thin layer which helps to protect if you are traveling with this dish.
Sandra Watts says
I’ve never seen this recipe before. Gonna have to try it sometime.
Debbie Welchert says
This recipe sounds really yummy. I know my grandchildren will love it.
janet aycock says
this sounds like a great recipe