Homemade Caramel Sauce
In my house, we love chocolate and caramel sauces in a variety of drinks and desserts. Personally as a coffee drinker, I love to keep a squeeze bottle of my favorite flavors on hand to “gourmet up” my half dozen cups through the day (no judging). But what I don’t love is the price you can pay for these sauces from the store.
So I make my own.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of butter
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla (Homemade Vanilla)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt both sticks of butter.
- Add the brown sugar and the vanilla to the butter and whisk until completely mixed. Note: this may look like more butter than sugar, but it will combine as it heats up.
- Continue to whisk until it bubbles, then stir occasionally for about 5 minutes.
I learned the hard way not to lick the spoon or whisk (ouch). It needs to cool 15-20 minutes before you try to put it away in a storage contained (squeeze bottle or small plastic bowl w/ lid). However, if you’re adding it to your coffee or dessert plate, it’s ready to go right away!
You can also make this in a slow cooker with our fool proof method. Really helpful when you can make it ahead of time.