Simple Chicken and Dumplings
If you are a comfort food junkie..this is one recipe to try! I love southern chicken and dumplings. It brings back memories from days long ago when life was simple and all I had to worry about was getting my chores done so I could go out and play with my friends.
A friend of mine made this for our ladies ski lodge group a couple of years ago and I have been enjoying it since. Simple Chicken and Dumplings is one of those dishes that will be a little different each time you make it. Toss in a favorite vegetable or extra seasoning to mix it up.
Start to finish is less than an hour. It can be made in 30 minutes if you have cooked (or bag) chicken on hand.
- 8 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 large bag large size Flour Tortillas, torn/cut in strips
- 2 (32 oz) boxes Chicken broth
- 2 cans water
- 1 can Evaporated milk
- 1 can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 can Cream of Celery soup
- Cook chicken breasts in broth and water until tender.
- Remove from liquid and shred in large bowl
- Bring broth back to a boil. Add torn/cut tortilla strips and cook 5 minutes. Do not stir – just press the dumplings down with the back of a large slotted spoon. If you stir them, they will dissolve.
- Drop heat to simmer. Gently stir in shredded chicken, milk and soup.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. The soup will thicken as the tortillas cook.
This serves 8-10 bowls. You can cut everything in half if you are cooking for a smaller group. I usually make it with the larger size as it gets eaten within a day.
We like to add Franks Hot Sauce in our bowls for just a kick. My girls also like corn added but this is something that is not part of the basic recipe. If making it for my house, I toss a can of whole corn in when I add the chicken back to the broth.
What is your favorite comfort food recipe? Share below in the comments..I would love to try it.