Simple Turkey Recipe
There are as many ways and recipes to cook at turkey as there are websites promoting them! We keep it pretty easy at our house. Here is our simple turkey recipe we use for Thanksgiving!
- Turkey (1/2 pound of Turkey per adult – I don’t count the children under 10)
- Butter – 1 pound (4 sticks)
- 2 yellow onions – peeled, quartered
- 3 stalks celery – cleaned, cut in finger length pieces
- 3 regular size carrots (or a handful of baby ones) – cleaned, cut in finger length pieces
REMEMBER TO THAW THE TURKEY!!!!! Can’t say that enough!
Assuming you have a thawed bird….if you don’t please follow these directions…
2. Rinse the bird REALLY well…inside and out – pat dry with paper towels.
3. Rub the bird inside and out with butter. Really rub it down…all the nooks and hidden places.
4. Sprinkle the bird with salt and pepper.
5. Put 2 sticks of butter along with the onions, celery and carrots inside the cavity.
6. Place bird in foil lined deep roaster, breast side up. I use a thermometer in the breast or you can buy a turkey that comes with one.
7. Cover the pan with a foil tent and bake at 325 until done. I usually remove the foil about 30 minutes before removing from the oven to allow the bird to brown a little more. Completely your choice to baste the bird while cooking. Just remember every time you open that oven door you are adding 15-20 minutes to the cooking time!
8. Remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes before carving. The items inside the bird can be served as side dish or tossed. I usually place beside the bird as garnish.