Warm Moroccan Spiced Couscous Salad
Stop the press! Skip down to the ingredient list and make your shopping list now. You WILL love this Warm Moroccan Spiced Couscous Salad! It is terrific warm or cold and I don’t think there is a way to mess it up! I fell in love with couscous several months ago and am always on the look out for way to incorporate it into our dishes.
This is our last recipe in the line up of under 300 calorie dishes for the National Nutrition Month that the National Pasta Association (NPA) is promoting.
• 2 tsp. vegetable oil
• 1 ½ cups/6 oz. sliced onion
• 2 cups/7 oz. ½” cubed eggplant
• 2 Tbsp./1 oz. grated ginger
• 2 Tbsp./½ oz. chopped garlic
• ⅛ tsp. ground cinnamon
• ¼ tsp. ground cumin
• ½ tsp. ground coriander
• 2 tsp. sriracha or other hot sauce, or to taste
• 1 cup/4 oz. thinly sliced carrots
• 1 cup/4 oz. diced red pepper
• 1 cup/6 oz. Israeli couscous
• 1 cup/ 2 oz. roughly chopped cilantro
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and sauté the onion, seasoning with salt and pepper, until soft and starting to brown (about 5 minutes).
2. Add the eggplant, stir together with the onions. Cover and cook until softened (about 3 minutes).
3. Add the ginger and garlic, stirring to caramelize. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and sriracha. Stir to bloom the spices.
5. Add the carrots, red pepper, and couscous. Stir to mix everything well.
6. Add 2 cups water and a pinch of salt. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Taste and adjust seasoning.
7. Stir in cilantro and divide between bowls.
Doesn’t this Warm Moroccan Spiced Couscous Salad look terrific? The recipe and image was shared with us through the National Pasta Association (NPA) and the Kellen Company. Credit for both are entirely theirs but I can’t wait to make this dish.
This is one of three recipes were are sharing for the National Nutrition Month. The others are:
Pasta e Ceci with a Twist
Italian Wedding Soup with Swiss Chard, Carrots, & Tomatoes
Here is a tutorial video on on three dishes:
Linda Manns Linneman says
This sounds so good. I love the spices in this great recipe. Thank you so much for this recipe.