Confident Once Again
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TenaTips #CollectiveBias
Okay, so this friend of mine confided that she is hesitant to travel or visit places with her girl friends because she never knows when she will need a restroom and is embarrassed to have to make her friends stop every thirty minutes so she can go to the restroom. Wow, this sounded just like a problem I had been dealing with and I hoped my experience would help her to become confident once again.
Here is the problem:
You go to bed and fall asleep.
Two hours later to wake up and go to the restroom.
You go back to bed and eventually fall back to sleep.
Two hours later you wake up and RUSH to the restroom.
You go back to bed and lay there wondering if you have to go to the restroom again or if you will be able to go back to sleep.
Several hours later you wake up and as soon as you start to stretch….Whoa..I gotta go..No.. I AM GOING!!
So imagine that happening night after night. Pads don’t handle that kind of sudden flow of liquid and wetting your night clothes is embarrassing even if you are all alone at home but imagine how much more so it would be if you were sharing a room with your girlfriends or the new roommate you just met at the conference or trip to your favorite vacation spot.
Yeah, not something you want to talk about with anyone! After four c-sections and four other surgeries for varies female issues, let’s just say my ole bladder ain’t what she used to be.
Here was my solution for what I call Potty Training 101 for Adults:
- About two hours before planned bedtime I will have a large glass of water, then nothing else until morning. This was hard for me because I would want water (okay tea, soda, milk or juice) every time I woke up in the night. So stopping the input far enough in advance to allow for output before bedtime is important.
- While preparing for bed, use the restroom before removing makeup, brushing teeth, etc. There is something about the water running during the night time routine that just calls my bladder for another restroom visit.
- After the second restroom visit, change into your pajamas. This is where before the Potty Training 101 for Adults class started I would use a pad or two overlapped to try to catch the flow when I made that first stretch to get up. Now instead of layering pads that really didn’t contain the flow, I use TENA® Overnight Underwear that is available at my local CVS store.
Let me share why I like the TENA® Overnight Underwear. First they are super absorbent. They are also thin so I don’t feel or look like a toddler in a diaper. But more importantly, they are comfortable to wear.
Now that you know why I like the TENA® Overnight Underwear, let’s continue with my Potty Training 101 for Adults lessons. I know.. It sounds funny but think about it. How did you train your little one to not wet the bed? Same process except as an adult, we are retraining our bodies to respond to the signals that they had due to age, illness or surgeries learned to ignore.
- So now you are ready for bed. If you are like me, I have to make one last trip around the house to make sure the doors are locked and all the children are in their beds and sleeping. Note here.. this is NOT the time to stop by the fridge for a late night snack or a glass of milk before bed!
- Stop one last time by the restroom before climbing in bed. If still awake thirty minutes after going to bed, whether it is because of reading, playing on phone or tablet, watching television, or just not able to turn off your brain; get up and go to the restroom again.
I know it sounds like I am making you go to the restroom all the time, but part of it is the retraining of your body that the toilet is where it should relax and conduct the business at hand.
Now, go to bed and hopefully sleep through the night. The first few nights, if you wake up, get up and go straight to the restroom. As you retrain your body, you should notice that you are not waking as often (at least not to use the restroom) and when you wake up in the morning you do not have that urgent gotta go, mad dash to the restroom.
That’s it. It really is that simple.
So I took my friend to our local CVS store and bought her a package of the TENA® Overnight Underwear and challenged her to give them along with my Potty Training 101 for Adults tips a try.
I am happy to report that she, like me, now no longer have to worry about accidents at night. The Potty Training 101 for Adults tips along with the TENA® Overnight Underwear really does work. And when our bodies do not cooperate, we are protected by TENA®.
Now I still use them when I travel or when I know that I may have limited access to facilities but you would never know it unless I shared that with you. I don’t think you can tell that we are wearing them, do you?
If your situation sounds anything like mine and my friend, give my Potty Training 101 for Adults along with the TENA® Overnight Underwear a try. Even just for the confidence of knowing you are protected and won’t be embarrassed. Be Confident! Take off on that trip or attend that ladies retreat. Go for it!
TENA® also carries a line of pads and liners for daytime or if additional protection is needed. If you are a couponer like me, you will love these promotions:
CVS is running a one week promotion that started on 6/19: Buy One Get One 50% off AND Buy 2 get $2 Extra Bucks! Gotta love those Extra Bucks from CVS, they add up fast.
Of course you can also order online at CVS.com and have it shipped directly to your home.
Don’t live in fear of an accident either at home or while off enjoying yourself. Take off on that walk, get some fresh air. You know it will help you rest better at night and better rest means you will feel better too!
If you have been around this site for any length of time, you know that my crew are always on the run. We travel several times a month and I refuse to give up my work or favorite activities because of getting older and springing a leak every once in a while! Neither should you!