Inexpensive Date Ideas
When’s the last time you went out on a real date with your significant other? As my adult children have learned, when you start adding careers, kids and mortgages to the budget, date nights tend to slip through the cracks. But I put together a list of inexpensive date ideas for you!
- Volunteer – This costs nothing, plus you get to spend the day/evening together helping a cause near and dear to your heart. Contact your local animal shelter, soup kitchen, or senior center for details.
- Breakfast Date – Breakfast does tend to be easier on the budget than dinner, so get up early and meet before work! And you get to carry that connection with you for the rest of the day.
- Movie Marathon – Put the kids to bed (or hire a babysitter), break out the popcorn and movie snacks, and watch your favorite movies on the couch! Pick a theme, cult classics, or his & her favorites instead of the newest releases.
- Cook Together – Prepare a meal together in the kitchen, then set a fancy table or take it outside for a change. You could even plan this all week (plan a menu, shop, etc) to enjoy the excitement as it builds.
- Take a Class – Check out your local libraries, community colleges and shops for classes and workshops. Usually these are relatively inexpensive plus you learn a new skill or topic with your loved one.
- Game Night – Host a game night with another couple. You supply the location and games, ask them to bring a dish to share!
- Visit a Museum – Most museums offer a special price for a certain day every week or to a certain event. Tour your local art, classic car or vintage sign museum, whatever you’d be interested in!
- Picnic – Pack up dinner and head to the local park! Bring a frisbee or a kite to play with afterwords. Bad weather? Picnic in the living room or by the fireplace!
- Coffee & Dessert – Just like breakfast, getting a slice of pie and a cup of coffee is usually pretty gentle on the wallet. Plus you get to “go out” without having to break the bank. For extra fun, dress up and go somewhere new!
- Stargazing – Whether you snuggle on the back porch swing, lay on a blanket under the stars, or find a quiet place away from the city lights, go check out the night sky with your love.
- Plan a Dream Vacation – Grab a snack or glass of wine and talk about where you would love to travel to, even if money were no object! Get on the computer, check out videos and pictures, and enjoy the process.
- Go For a Drive – Get in the car, turn on the radio, and just drive. You can explore your own city or take a few roads out to the country, see what there is to see. Stop and take pictures or check out a shop if you find one.
Whether you’re a newly married couple trying to save money for a big purchase, parents of young children who still deserve alone time, or if times are tough but you still need a break, there are a bunch of inexpensive date ideas to enjoy together. Some require more planning than others, or depend on the weather, but a lot of them don’t require a babysitter, leaving the house, or a lot of money.
Amber Ludwig says
So awesome of you to post this!! Im a sahm so money is scarce but so is our date nights too 🙁 Very sad!! These are some amazing ideas!!
Sherryl Wilson says
Understand that! But just get creative and find time to spend together. Don’t let the couple in lost in the family.