Potato and Beet Salad
Beets are almost a staple in our house. We use them on tossed salads and my crew loves to just open a can and dig in! We recently had some fresh beets and let me tell you one thing.. you cannot beat the flavor of fresh to canned! Yes.. I saw what I just typed LOL.. You can’t beat the taste of fresh beets!
This is an old recipe with a new flare. I grew up with canned beets being used and that is a quick way to dress up your potato salad when in a pinch. I love the fresh dill and whole-grain mustard in this salad. Hot or cold, it hits the spot!
Oh, and note to self… wear gloves when peeling and chopping beets..says the lady with bright red palms.
- 2 pounds new potatoes, washed and quartered
- 4 tablespoons oil (Grape seed, coconut, olive)
- 1 pound fresh beets, washed, peeled and diced to bite size
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or cream)
- 2 Tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 cup chopped celery (2-3 stalks)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill (1 Tablespoon dried)
- Salt and Pepper
Optional: 1 small onion, diced
- Place potatoes in a large bowl, salt and pepper liberally. Toss with 2 Tablespoons of oil.
- Transfer potatoes in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Place beets in the same large bowl, salt and pepper liberally. Toss with 2 Tablespoons of oil and 3 Tablespoons water.
- Transfer beets in a single layer on a large baking sheet – including the liquids
- Bake both for 35 minutes at 400 degrees or until the potatoes are browned and starting to get crispy. Depending on the number of potatoes on the baking sheet, you may want to shake or stir the pan once or twice during baking time to make sure all sides are browned.
- Remove from oven and allow potatoes and beets to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Using the same large bowl, mix the mayonnaise, cream (or buttermilk), mustard, dill and celery until blended well.
- Gently, scoop or scrape the potatoes and beets to the large bowl. Make sure to include any juices from both pans!
- Gently toss everything together making sure all the potatoes and beets are covered in white sauce.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours if serving cold.
- Just prior to serving, crumble blue cheese over salad and gently toss to mix everything together
Lynne B says
I’ve never tried beets. I know they’re good for me but I can’t get over the color. My husband was in Australia for a few years and he grew to like them because they put them on everything, including McDonald’s burgers!
Sandra Watts says
I love beets. Would love to try this salad in the summer.
I love Beets! I love them on my salads, in my smoothies, in stir fry, baked as chips, pickled with eggs (Yum!), juiced and cooked as a side. Thank you for this recipe and giving me yet another way to enjoy Beets!
Jennifer Hiles says
I’ve only had beets once. I at them and ended up getting sick. I’m sure the two are completely unrelated but now they are stuck together in my head! It’s been years so I should give them a second chance 🙂
Amanda Boehmer says
Beets? Never had them! You will have to bring to an event so I can try… 🙂
Katrina W says
Colton would definitely love this b/c of having beets!
I missed this salad and now I’ll have to keep an eye out for fresh beets; I’m not sure I’ve ever had any.
Thanks for sharing the potato and beet salad recipe!!