Slow Cooker Coconut Pork Curry
What an easy dish to make! I like that it can be made ahead of time or left alone once placed in the slow cooker. Want more spice? Just offer little dishes of spice for individual preference. Your devil egg tray is a cute way to offer spices to your guests.
Rice or Noodles? Again your choice. I add about a tablespoon of curry and cumin to three cups of rice in the steamer for added color and flavor.
- 3 Tablespoons oil (your choice – I love grape seed)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 pounds pork, cut into bite size pieces (about 6 pork chops)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or jarred)
- 3 Tablespoons minced ginger (jarred or dried ok)
- 2 Tablespoons mild curry powder
- 2 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped (dried is fine about 2 Tbls)
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- Rice or pasta (prepared just before serving)
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat. Add oil and butter and allow to heat until bubbly. While waiting for the pan to heat, season the pork with liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add one layer of pork to the skillet and brown it over moderately high heat, about 10-12 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to the slow cooker. Continue until all the pork has been browned.
- Once all the meat has been transferred to the slow cooker, pour off most of the remaining oil from the skillet (leave about 3 tablespoons) and reduce the heat to low.
- Toss in the onion, garlic, ginger, curry, cumin and turmeric and cook over low heat, stirring until the onion is softened, about 5-8 minutes.
- Pour one cup of chicken broth into the mixture and stir to release the bits stuck to bottom of pan. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk, cilantro and remaining stock to slow cooker.
- Stir gently to mix.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8.
- Right before serving, scoop off as much of the floating oil as possible.
- Serve with steamed rice or noodles
This dish is a great one to make ahead or double portions and freeze half for later. It will keep in the fridge for up to four days.
Lynne B says
I love curry! Using the crock pot makes me love it more because its so easy!
This looks so good! I love anything with coconut! Congrats on being included in the Amazing Top 50 Slow Cooker Soups on AllYou.com! 🙂
Lisa Kubin says
This looks like a recipe that my family would love!
Melissa Bowers says
This looks yummy. I love using my Crockpot and letting something cook in there all day long. I’ve never thought about using a deviled egg tray to serve anything other than eggs. Very clever!
Susan Bewley says
This sounds pretty yummy! It looks like i need to pick up some pork at Sam Club (have everything else in our pantry!)
This Slow Cooker Coconut Pork Curry sounds like a great dinner recipe!
Courtney Pies says
I love slow cooker recipes! This coconut pork curry looks and sounds delicious!