Psalm 4:4-5 “In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Offer right sacrifices and trust the Lord.” (NIV)
What do you do at those low ebb moments in your life? Those times when you are searching for traction in your life and you can’t seem to find any to get yourself going again in a positive way? Psalm 4 is David’s answer to that question, and it starts with a prayer REQUEST for help and mercy and relief from David’s present distress. Remember that one thing if you remember anything in tough times: call upon the name of the Lord for help! That one spiritual practice will spare you much pain, loss, and faithlessness in this life, because God will respond faithfully to your calls for his help. But there are three other points of emphasis David makes to us that are important as well when facing tough times.
- First, we are not to sin in our anger. For me that says that let’s calm down and RELAX, because God is in control. Those circumstances, people, or things we get angry about God has allowed into our lives anyway. Relax in the Lord because he is in control and it is in his power on his time in his way that will bring your present relief, and not any angry misguided, hapless, and self-destructive lashing out.
- Second, we are to REFLECT on what is going on in our lives as we seek God’s guidance at night. This method is not to pace the room and wring our hands but to lie very still on our beds and contemplate what God will do through us in this world to deal with our problems.
- Third, we are to REJOICE in the Lord when he faithfully answers our prayer request and RESPOND rightly to the LORD with sacrifice and trusting obedience.
David defines a path for each one of us to take when we are in trouble and distress:
- REQUEST of the Lord,
- RELAX in the Lord,
- REFLECT on the Lord’s power to help,
- REJOICE in the Lord as he provides our way to victory, and
- RESPOND in trusting obedience.
FATHER, WHEN I’M OVERWHELMED, GIVE ME SWEET SLEEP AS YOU WORK YOUR PLAN THROUGH ME, AS I TRUST YOU IN FULL OBEDIENCE TO RELIEVE MY TROUBLE AND DISTRESS.
Article source: Mike White @ Summitchurchofchrist
I enjoy reading through and I think this website got some genuinely utilitarian stuff on it!