Vanilla Lemony Rice Krispy Treats
These krispy treats are simply amazing with the added lemon and vanilla. We call them the grown up treats just to keep the little ones out of them! I think you could dress these up with any type of flavoring. Maybe we will have to have a series on the many ways to flavor krispy treats.
- ½ vanilla bean ( or 1 teaspoon extract)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounce bag small marshmallows (large ones tend to burn)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (you can use juice if just looking for the flavor – but the zest adds bits of color)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- Lightly butter or spray with non stick spray all sides of a 8×8 or 9×9-inch dish
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the tiny pods- set aside
- In medium large saucepan, melt butter over low heat
- Add marshmallows and continue to stir until melted
- Stir in the vanilla pods, lemon zest or juice and salt. Remove from heat
- Quickly stir in the crispy rice cereal to coat. Be gentle so you don’t crush the cereal pieces
- Dump the coated cereal mixture into the buttered dish
- Press down evenly on the mixture with buttered hands or a square of parchment paper
- Allow to cool before flipping onto cutting board. Cut into serving pieces
If you would like to mold the treats into calls or press into shaped molds, lightly spray your hands with non stick spray or rub a little butter on your palms – works like a charm!
Very interesting…I love making rice crispy treats with chocolate chips, peanut butter and reeces pieces but never thought about lemon and vanilla. Do you think that I would be able to use lemon extract?? I have that and lemon juice just not lemons lol I dont have much of a problem with our son gobbling things up (esp rice crispy treats) at the moment but Ill keep these in mind WHEN it does happen lol
These sound delicious and thank you for sharing with us!
Sarah Oswald says
This is a variation I have never heard of but would love to try thanks for the recipe. This sounds so yummy I cant to wait to try it.